Some threw stones at the security forces, which were made up of paramilitary members, police officers and the army. The forces fired on the crowd with bullets and pellet guns, and also used tear gas. One civilian was killed and at least 15 were wounded.


A funeral procession for one of the militants killed in the clash.

Dar Yasin/Associated Press

Abu Dujana had been active in the Kashmir Valley since 2010 and was involved in many terrorist attacks, army and police officials said at the news conference.

The police received intelligence early Tuesday morning that he was in a village in Pulwama, said Munir Khan, Kashmir Valley’s inspector general of police. He said that the police had asked the militants to surrender, but that they had opened fire, leading to the battle.

“It’s a big dent on the capabilities of Lashkar,” Lt. Gen. J. S. Sandhu, the top Indian army commander in the Kashmir Valley, said of Abu Dujana’s death.

Last year, the Kashmir Valley faced prolonged civil unrest after the killing of the popular militant leader Burhan Muzaffar Wani, and nearly 100 people died in the clashes. Since then, the government has tried to get ahead of protests, often by suspending internet services in the fractious valley.

The Pulwama district government hospital treated at least 15 people with bullet and pellet wounds. Two bullets also hit a paramedic and a medical student inside a hospital ward whose windows open on a road where clashes took place, Dr. Abdul Rashid Parra, the hospital’s medical superintendent, said in a telephone interview. Three patients had pellet wounds to their eyes, a common injury during the unrest last year.

The civilian who was killed had a bullet wound to the chest, Dr. Parra said.

Mr. Khan said that internet services had been suspended in the area. “We don’t want people to misuse the internet services and indulge in propaganda, which is not called for,” he said.

He appealed to the civilians taking part in the protests to stand down.

“Pelting or no pelting, disruptions or no disruptions, the operations will go on,” he said.

Continue reading the main story